Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Most Favorite Time of the Year..............

It's a most favorite time of the year! No, it's not Christmas. It's not the 4th of July. It's not even anybody's birthday! It's - Back to School Time!!!! I look forward to this all summer long. Some might think it's kind of rude for me to be so eager for the kids to go back to school. Don't get me wrong, as I think it's great that kids have time to decompress for a couple of months (and decompress they do). It's a great opportunity for them to catch up on sleep, to travel, to spend time with family that they don't see very often, and to spend time with friends that one would think they would get tired of seeing! The adventures of summer break are memories for them to treasure for years. But, summer break is also a time that parents are sleep deprived, totally confused as to where each child is and when and a time when it's best to give up on structure and welcome complete chaos. Heck, this past summer, I think I may have fixed dinner a total of three times! I found it easiest not to worry about dinner. This way I wasn't irritated by fixing a meal when there wasn't anybody at home to eat it!

So, this past Thursday began what we like to call order and structure at our house (like the two even exist at our house, but it's nice to pretend). Kids went back to school!



Ryan is in 7th grade this year. His first year at Junior High. It hasn't changed the fact that he needed to have his school supplies all together days before school started. It hasn't changed the fact that he mentally needed to plot out where his classes are and how to most efficiently get to each class so he's not late. It hasn't helped that we told him that now that he's in Jr. High, a lot of those things from elementary school really don't matter anymore - such horrible parents we are. His main elective this year is band - remember that trombone that he signed up to play? Yep, he gets to carry it back and forth to school (our school district doesn't provide buses unless you live a mile or more away from the school). Fortunately, he's able to store said trombone at school. I wonder how often we will see, or hear, the trombone at home.


Tommy is big man on campus this year. He's a mighty 9th grader. He and Ryan are at the same school this year. I'm still not sure which of the two to feel sorry for. As a freshman, Tommy is able to play some high school sports. He has chosen to play water polo. And I must say, that we are blessed, as practices are after school and not in the wee early morning hours. Tommy also starts Seminary this year. That is in the wee morning hours - 5:45 AM in the wee early morning hours. Fortunately for Monique, Wendy will drive Tommy to seminary on her way to seminary which doesn't start until 6:00 Am in the wee early morning hours.


Wendy is our 11th grader this year. She is taking one class at the high school - American Sign Language. She will then fulfill the rest of her high school requirements while taking classes at the community college - here it's called 'Running Start'. If everything plays out as planned, she will graduate high school with her associates degree. Of course, figuring out her schedule has not been very easy, as there is this sign language class to work around, plus the fact that she is playing soccer again, and needs to schedule classes around practices and games - oh my!


Yes - Tyler did graduate this past spring. But since he was ready and on his way to work, Monique couldn't resist the urge to take his picture as well. I actually think that the overly excited look on his face is due to the fact that he is going to work instead of going to school like the other kids. He said he didn't even feel like he was missing out on the whole going back to school thing.


And of course, 1st day of school pictures would not be complete without a picture of Sammy. From what I was told, Sammy was rather sad that the kids were going back to school. He doesn't like his people to leave - maybe because then he's left home with just the cats. I really don't think they terrorize him too much while we are gone.

I'm sure big things are in store this school year. Our days will be filled with many stories and adventures and many times will we be hearing the words, "Homework is stupid - it's an infringement on my personal time". Should we keep a tally?

Kids - have a great year! Open your minds and absorb all the wisdom that you can. Be respectful, be kind, have fun. Remember who you are and wear clean underwear!

3 comments:

Mason Family said...

I wish there was a like button on your profile! I can't wait for wednesday morning! :)

shandy said...

You sound like my father. I miss you guys.

McCleary Clan Family Blog said...

Can't believe how much the kids have changed!!!