Monday, October 13, 2008

Scooter Magoo.....

Okay, so we were getting ready the first part of October to take the kids to Utah for a week. In the midst of getting ready to go and still trudging through the normal daily routine, Tommy calls me at work one morning and asks, "What is wrong with Scooter?". Apparently, Scooter was limping and not moving around very well. When I got home that evening, I noticed what Tommy failed to mention - Scooter's front leg had a very curious bend to it that was not normal. Friday morning (Oct. 3rd - the day we were to leave for UT), I took Scooter to the vet. After hours and hours and x-rays, it was determined that Scooter broke his leg - both bones at the growth plate! We still don't have a clue as to how this happened. Our options were: 1. to have surgery or 2. to set it and cast it (the cheaper option according to the vet). While Monique and I were discussing this, the vet called back and said he spoke with an orthopedic specialist (do they really have such things for animals?) and he said Scooter was too young and the bones were too small to try putting pins in and correcting this. The cheaper option won out! (I'd hate to think how much the more expensive option would have cost - especially after getting the bill for the cheaper one!). Our departure was delayed about an hour and a half and Scooter came home looking like this.....

He gets to wear the cast for about two weeks (if I remember correctly from the fog I was in with everything going on at the time). He still gets around extremely well, dragging his cast along behind him. He, somehow, is even able to climb up on the couch and also on the cat tower!

No comments: