Friday, April 24, 2009

You Must Be Dutch If.......

Monique and I are both on that social network Facebook, and one of the advantages is we are in contact with some of the church members in the ward where Steve is currently serving! We received some recent pictures of Steve (aka Elder Sticht) this week, via this social network. He seems to be doing quite well and is loving his time as a missionary. We were quite surprised with what we saw in the photos - something that neither Monique nor I have ever done. He must have more Dutch blood than either of us realized. That, or he really is the good sport that we figured he was. Take a look......

First you start with some raw herring (yuck - okay I really can't say that since I've never tried it)...



Then you grab one by the tail, hold it up high with a wide open mouth...



You think about what you have just done, SERIOUSLY think about what you have just done....


And the result is.......


I don't know about you, but they look like a bunch of well sated missionaries to me! And to think they could be eating a plethora of other tasty treats (i.e. chocolate, vla (Dutch pudding - WAY better than anything you can get here), stroopwafels (syrup waffles - those you see the missionaries eating in 'The Best Two Years', patat (french fries), etc.).

Steve, we love you and are proud of you! Keep up the good work and continue to show us how Dutch you really are!

3 comments:

Darla said...

I know this is weird, but he kind of looks like Doug to me. What a great son. It is fun to read about his mission.

Anonymous said...

We as grandparents are very proud of Stephen eating his herring. To be very honest I have never eaten one like that!!! But not only for his eating habits, but especially the way he is a missionary. We do love him, his dutch grandparents.

McCleary Clan Family Blog said...

Love these photos. Elder Sticht looks great...but is still the same Steve that we know and love!